Chemical engineering general references and search engines
This color indicates a link available via Clarkson University (off-campus access)
Process Systems Engineering A virtual issue of the AIChE Journal containing the most cited papers in process systems engineering in its almost 60 years of publication, with some from Clarkson faculty members.
Flow Diagrams (Block diagrams, process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams)
On-line sources available through Clarkson. Most are searchable.
· Clarkson's Complete Journal List (Many available online.)
· Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology (after searching, click on Section Text in HTML). Hard copy also available in the library (Ref 660.3 E56e3).
Press Engineering Electronic Library
Search for “Albright’s Chemical Engineering Handbook” for a competitor to Perry’s handbook.
Search to find articles about particular chemicals, such as manufacturers, production rates, prices
Chemistry and Industry
Click on one issue, and then Find to search for news about particular chemicals from many sources.
ICIS Chemical Business
Formerly Chemical Market Reporter; Click on one issue, and then Find to search for news about particular chemicals from many sources
Mostly news items, but also process engineering advice, marketing information and costs; figures not provided in online version
Oil & Gas Journal
Search for news about oil refining, petrochemical and biofuel manufacturing, including plant costs and chemical prices
Latest issue in the library at TP1.C3
Other on-line sources
Patent and Tradmark Office
Find patent by topic, number, inventor, company, etc.
Reports, data, software, etc.
Reynolds number, pipe friction, unit conversion, beams (strength of materials), flowmeters, radiation, etc.
Properties data base, pressure drop, pipe sizing, centrifugal pump sizing, heat exchangers with thermal rating
Excellent references at Clarkson’s library
· “McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology": Ref 503 M147e7
· "Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry": Ref 660.0321 U41e5
· “Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design": Ref 660.28 E56c. 68 volumes plus 2002 supplement.
· “Handbook of Petrochemicals Production Processes,” edited by Robert A. Meyers (McGraw-Hill, NY, 2005) 665.538 H236
· "Riegel's Handbook of Industrial Chemistry": Ref 66 R554h9
· “Rules of Thumb for Chemical Engineers,” 2nd edition, Carl Branan, editor. Gulf Publishing Company (1998), 660 R935
· “Handbook of Petrochemicals Production Processes,” Robert A. Meyers, editor, McGraw-Hill (2005), 665.538 H236. Manufacturing methods for common petrochemicals written by experts. Includes economic data that are otherwise very difficult to obtain.
Disclaimer: The material on this page is intended for instructional purposes by Clarkson University students only. Neither Clarkson University nor Professor Wilcox is responsible for problems caused by using this information.
Last updated September 15, 2012.
Comments and corrections should be sent to Professor William R. Wilcox