CAMP 203, Box 5725
American Physical Society
Materials Research Society
American Society for Composites
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
American Society for Engineering Education
Royal E. Cabell Fellowship, Northwestern University, 2005
2nd Prize in the Student Poster
Competition of 17th Annual Technical Conference of American Society
Student Scholarship for 1st
International Conference and School on Nanoscale/Molecular Mechanics,
17. W. Ding, Micro/nano-particle manipulation and adhesion studies, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, accepted (2007)
16. W. Ding, A.J. Howard, M.D. M. Peri, C. Cetinkaya, Rolling resistance moment of microsphere on surfaces: contact measurements, Philosophical Magazine, 87(36), 5685-5696 (2007)
15. W. Ding, L. Calabri, K. M. Kohlhaas, X. Chen, D. Dikin, R. S. Ruoff, Modulus, fracture strength, and brittle vs. plastic response of the outer shell of arc-grown multi-wall carbon nanotubes, Experimental Mechanics, 47(1), 25-36 (2007).
14. W. Ding, Z. Guo, R. S. Ruoff, Effect of cantilever nonlinearity in nanoscale tensile test, Journal of Applied Physics, 101(3), 034316:1-10 (2007).
13. S. Lu, Z. Guo, W. Ding, D. Dikin, J. Lee, R. S. Ruoff, In-situ mechanical testing of templated carbon nanotubes, Review of Scientific Instruments, 77, 125101:1-6 (2006).
12. W. Rong, W. Ding, L. Madler, R. S. Ruoff, S. K. Friedlander, Mechanical properties of nanoparticle chain aggregates by combined AFM and SEM: isolated aggregates and networks, Nano Letters, 6(12), 2646-2655 (2006).
11. L. Calabri, N. Pugno, W. Ding, R. S. Ruoff, Resonance of curved nanowires, Journal of Physics – Condensed Matter, 18(33), S2175-2183 (2006)
10. W. Ding, L. Calabri, X. Chen, K. M. Kohlhaas, R. S. Ruoff, Mechanics of crystalline boron nanowires, Composites Science and Technology, 66, 1109-1121 (2006).
9. S. Lu, Z. Guo, W. Ding, R. S. Ruoff, An analysis of the use of a MEMS testing stage to measure the mechanical properties of nanostructures, Review of Scientific Instruments, 77(5), 1-4 (2006).
8. R. S. Ruoff, L. Calabri, W. Ding, N. Pugno, Experimental tests on fracture strength of nanotubes, Reviews on Advanced Materials Science, 10(2), 110-117 (2005).
7. E. Zussman, X. Chen, W. Ding, L. Calabri, D. Dikin, J. Quintana, R. S. Ruoff, Mechanical and structural characterization of PAN-derived carbon nanofibers, Carbon, 43, 2175-2185 (2005).
6. W. Ding, D. Dikin, X. Chen, X. Wang, X. Li, R. Piner, R. S. Ruoff, E. Zussman, Mechanics of hydrogenated amorphous carbon deposits from electron beam induced deposition of a paraffin precursor, Journal of Applied Physics, 98(1), 014905:1-7 (2005).
5. Z. Huang, D. Dikin, W. Ding, Y. Qiao, X. Chen, Y. Fridman, R. S. Ruoff, Three-dimensional representation of curved nanowires, Journal of Microscopy, 216, 206-214 (2004).
4. X. Chen, S. Zhang, G. Wagner, W. Ding, R. S. Ruoff, Mechanical resonance of quartz microfibers and boundary condition effects, Journal of Applied Physics, 95(9), 4823-4828 (2004).
3. W. Ding, A. Eitan, F. T. Fisher, X. Chen, D. Dikin, R. Andrews, L. C. Brinson, L. S. Schadler, R. S. Ruoff, Direct observation of polymer sheathing in carbon nanotube-polycarbonate composites, Nano Letters, 3(11), 1593-1597 (2003).
2. X. Chen, S. Zhang, D. Dikin, W. Ding, R. S. Ruoff, L. Pan, Y. Nakayama, Mechanics of a carbon nanocoil, Nano Letters, 3(9), 1299-1304 (2003).
7. W. Ding, L. Calabri, K. M. Kohlhaas, X. Chen, R. S. Ruoff, Fracture mechanics of one-dimensional nanostructures, ECF 16 – 16th European Conference of Fracture: Failure Analysis of Nano and Engineering Materials and Structures, July 3-7, Alexandroupolis, Greece (2006).
6. R. S. Ruoff, W. Ding, R. D. Piner, S. Stankovich, Remarkable mechanics of extremely thin graphite platelets, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 229:U1146-U1146 227-PMSE Part 2, Mar 13 (2005).
5. R. S. Ruoff, L. Calabri, W. Ding, N. Pugno, Fracture strength of nanotubes, ICF11 - 11th International Conference on Fracture, Mar. 20-25, Politecnico di Torino, Turin, Italy (2005).
4. W. Ding, F. T. Fisher, X. Chen, D. Dikin, R. S. Ruoff, Nanotube-polymer composite characterization via nanomanipulation experiments, 11th US-Japan Conference on Composite Materials, Sept. 9-11, Yamagata University, Japan (2004).
3. Z. Huang, D. Dikin, W.
Ding, Y. Qiao, Y. Fridman, R. S. Ruoff, Three-dimensional representation of
curved nanostructure, MRS proceedings 820: Nanoengineered Assemblies and
Advanced Micro/Nanosystems, R8.4, Apr.
2. R. S. Ruoff, X. Chen, D.
Dikin, W. Ding, M-F. Yu, G. Wagner, Mechanics of nanowires, Microscopy and Microanalysis,
8 Supplement S02, Aug. 4-8,
2006 Andrea J. Howard (M.S. student)
2006 Sean White (M.S. student, co-advised)
2007 Huan Zhang (M.S./Ph.D. student, co-advised)
2007 Xiarong Tong (M.S. student, co-advised)