[survey | read | learn | other | about ]

« Beating Illustrator's Block | Main | Arranging Things: A Rhetoric of Object Placement »

i hate computers

Both the LCD and the DVD drive on my Mac Book Pro died last week. Apple, always quick in terms of service, had a padded mailer to me by Thursday (less than 24 hours after I called tech support) and the repaired computer was back in my hands Tuesday morning.

Now the keyboard is dying. I've lost the apostrophe key, the tab key, and the delete key. I can't command-tab between applications; I have to select and delete text rather than backspacing over it. (I've rebooted, reset the power manager, and booted from an external drive—all no good.) I hate this.

(Where did I get the apostrophes in the last paragraph? I copied and pasted them from a random post from Metafilter about a WWII spy for the French resistance that was in my RSS feed. Writing as a form of collage.)

Comments

I think computer manufacturers have decided that like software, it's cheaper to let customers do quality control. Our dual G5 had a faulty motherboard. I got five new iMacs last year at work; two have required service already. I also took in 25 Dells; five required service out of the box. Poo.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)