[survey | read | learn | other | about ]

« Grading Tips | Main | Now The Hardest Working Man in the Afterlife »

Malone School for the Deaf

Malone School for the Deaf 3

Like a lot of people, I'm fascinated by abandoned buildings. Yesterday I took my dad up to look at the (long-since closed) Malone School for the Deaf. There are seven or eight large buildings, tucked away in a relatively residential section of town, on a large hill, between a school bus garage and a shiny, glass-covered new high school. It's creepy, in that abandoned sort of way: boarded up, washed out, and slowly decaying. (Here's a link to the full Flickr set.)

According to one report, after WWII (several decades after the School for the Deaf was closed), Clarkson University students were shipped up to this location, 40 miles from the main campus, to complete their first two years of their education.

Following World War II, Clarkson admitted hundreds of returning veterans to its student ranks - so many, in fact, that they had to rent space in the New York State School for the Deaf in Malone, NY. For the next five years, Clarkson underclassmen spent their first two years studying in Malone before moving to the Potsdam campus for the remainder of their education.

Comments

very cool pictures. thanks for posting. mind if i use them on my site?

p.s. have you ever heard about the tunnel that connects the pit to the admissions building (the one near the quad)? it's entrance is bricked up in the prodction studio of the radio station.

Do you know if this building if protected under the registry of NY historical buildings?

Feel free to use the images—if you go to the Flickr page, you can read the Creative Commons license terms (I think they're attribution/non-commercial).

I'm not sure if the building is on the state's registry. I think that it's still owned by the city, which is apparently looking for a buyer.

I live close to the old school for the deaf/Harrison School/NCCC college and am very interested on anything to do with this parcel of land and abandoned buildings.Last fall I put an article in the Telegram inquiring about what's to happen with these gorgeous buildings rich with history and architecture.Because it was voting time, i only received verbal remarks of interest and heard nothing via the newspaper. It doesn't mean I have lost interest and now that summer is here, it's easy to look over and see the beauty these buildings hold. I often go over with my camera and have taken many beautiful shots of the architecture and landscape. Every year I see the buildings becoming more and more dilapidated and inhabited with rodents and pigeons. Also, I see the boarded windows and doors are being broken into and perhaps even being used as a haven for vagrants and teens looking for a spot to hang out. I know that someone is paying to have the lawn mowed so am curious who owns it. I would love to see if it could be among the many old places being restored. It holds many memories for me and in talking with others, feel this place is rich with the history of Malone.Because of it's vastness these buildings could be utilized for an art center, movie theatre, small stores and so many things.It would take a lot of money as I am told the place is filled with asbestos, but surely there must be grants that would help with this if there were enough people interested. If anyone else feels this way, please let me know.Thank you.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)